Menu
in

How Alexandra Underwood responded after a viral ANTM pendulum fall

how alexandra underwood responded after a viral antm pendulum fall 1771786115

Alexandra Underwood, who finished third on Cycle 14, is back in the spotlight after a resurfaced clip and a new Netflix documentary reopened conversation about safety and spectacle in reality TV.

What happened
– The documentary Reality Check: Inside America’s Next Top Model premiered on Netflix on Feb. 16 and includes a segment showing Underwood’s fall during a runway challenge. The set featured large, swinging pendulums as a stage effect; she slipped earlier that day while navigating stairs in a tight dress and heels and later fell during the obstacle-like catwalk, landing on her knees. She has described immediate pain, visible bruising and lingering symptoms that made returning to runways difficult.
– A 2010 clip from The View also resurfaced, showing cohost Whoopi Goldberg laughing as the fall unfolded. Goldberg addressed the footage on air and issued an apology on Feb. 18. Underwood spoke with reporters on Feb. 21, offering her account and context beyond the brief viral moments.

Impact and response
– The incident has had both physical and emotional consequences for Underwood. She calls the tumble humiliating and painful, and says the online circulation of the clip intensified anxiety and reputational strain. At the same time, she acknowledges that the show opened doors—she signed with a major agency and gained bookings after Cycle 14—yet argues that career benefits don’t erase the need for accountability when contestants are put at risk or demeaned.
– Producers and Netflix have not issued extensive public statements beyond the documentary’s release. According to available reports, no police involvement or criminal charges have been reported.

Bigger picture
– The footage and the documentary have reignited debate about how reality shows stage moments for drama and whether production choices prioritize spectacle over safety. Former contestants and critics are calling for clearer safety protocols, independent oversight and better protections for participants. Producers say they will review procedures; regulators and industry bodies have signalled interest in examining the matter more closely.
– Underwood herself has tried to frame the experience as mixed: parts of her time on the show helped her career, she says, but some stunts and editorial decisions caused genuine harm that deserves recognition and apology.

Where things stand
– The documentary’s interviews remain the primary source of direct testimony. Whoopi Goldberg’s apology on Feb. 18 and Underwood’s interviews on Feb. 21 are the most recent public developments. Industry reviews and media scrutiny are ongoing, and more statements may follow as regulators and production companies respond.