Get strong and healthy bones with these calcium-rich foods that cannot be missing from your diet. Which one is your favorite?
Calcium is one of the essential minerals for vital functions such as the production of hormones , or the formation of bones , teeth and the prevention of diseases such as osteoporosis .
Although it is the most abundant mineral in our body, only between 20% – 40% of the total calcium obtained from food is absorbed . Absorption improves with other nutrients such as vitamin D , vitamin C, protein, lactose, or fat.
The milk and dairy products are the main source of calcium. However, there are other products that can give us that mineral contribution such as green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, soft thorn fish and shellfish.
Keep in mind that calcium of plant origin is absorbed worse , so do not overcook vegetables to avoid losing their nutrients.
Foods that provide calcium
- Dairy . The foods that provide the highest amount of calcium are dairy products. Within this group, it is recommended to consume semi or skimmed milk, since, according to experts, it has slightly more calcium than whole milk, less triglycerides and fewer calories . Semi or skimmed yogurts are also recommended. As for cheeses , it is important to bear in mind that they provide abundant calcium although in general they have saturated fats . It should be noted that Burgos cheese and cottage cheese are lighter than cured and semi-cured ones.
- Green leafy vegetables . The broccoli , Chinese cabbage, kale cabbage or spinach are other vegetable sources of calcium.
- Tofu . Tofu is a plant food rich in calcium, with a content 20% higher than cow’s milk.
- Pulses . Especially beans, beans, lentils, or soybeans.
- Fish . Specifically, blue and soft-boned fish such as canned salmon, herring and sardines.
- Shellfish Seafood such as prawns, Norway lobster or clams.
- Nuts . Almonds, Brazil nuts, or dried figs.
- Seeds . Seeds are roasted sesame and flax seeds.
- Fruits . There are not many fruits that provide calcium, among them orange and papaya stand out.